Monday, February 2, 2009

Rescue

Recently, someone told me, "I will not try to change you. I will not try to rescue you."

This surprised me. Do I seem like someone ripe for changing or "rescuing"? I am acutely aware of the new areas of stress in my life, as are my closest friends, but I have never been one to talk too much about the things that weigh heavily on me. Talking about stress, for me, only augments it.

So to much of the outside world, I should appear to be terribly carefree. And even when that's only an illusion, it should be a relatively consistent and believable illusion.

But to be fair, I don't think that comment was made with any serious intent or conviction. It was one of those throwaway phrases that people put out there from time to time.

But my real takeaway from this is that there are people out there who do want to be "rescued."

I don't need rescuing.

But I am apparently waiting for something. I don't know what though...

1 comment:

chilibean said...

so if you're sinking in quicksand and he's standing beside you fine and dandy on the ground with a pole in his hand, he'll just watch you sink to your death? that's not very gentlemanly.