Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Night Walking

I had forgotten how much I enjoy being outside at night.

Walking at night, driving at night... and doing these things alone, satisfies something in me.

I haven't done these things in a long time, until recently. (I don't count walking back to my apt. from my neighborhood bar/restaurant since a half a block can hardly be called a "walk").

When I lived in Hong Kong, regular insomnia combined with jetlag from constant travel meant that I pretty much stopped sleeping. And during the wee hours of the morning, I would walk. Perhaps I was extraordinarily lucky, or perhaps Hong Kong really IS that safe, but it never felt dangerous. At 3AM, it was quiet. Streets usually packed with bustling people are peaceful at that time.

When I first moved back to NYC, I kept up that habit. But common sense and caution overrode desire and I stopped.

I've resumed my walks lately. Not at 3AM though. I pick a "safer" time. So it's not exactly the same, but it's good enough. Some might tell me that I should get a big dog to accompany me on my walks. But since I prefer to be ignored by my pets, that's not an option. Besides, if I want a high maintenance animal in my life requiring constant reassurance and attention, I'd get a man. Preferably one with access to a color copier.

No comments: